Saturday 15 February 2014

ARTIST'S RESEARCH: Ronald Mueck


Ronald Mueck is an Australian sculptor who is currently working in the UK.
His early career consisted of being a model maker and puppeteer for children's television shows and films, one of his most notorious being, Labyrinth.
However, one piece which hooked me was his exhibition at the Saatchi for 'Big Baby'. 
The sculpture seen in the video is the second creation by Mueck, with the first and third being from 1963, as seen in the photograph below.
I particularly like how realistic the sculptures look in comparison to the skin tones and indentations of a real baby, however the size, which is blown up to a completely new scale, is something quite remarkable.
I find it astonishing how Mueck was able to capture a moment through his sculpture work, which is an idea I would like to consider in my own work.



No comments:

Post a Comment